I have already added a short post on why the reusable nursing pads are essential for breastfeeding moms, here I will describe the process on how to make them.
More sustainability, hygiene and comfort
Less waste, plastic, money spent, inconvenience and unneeded bacteria
What we need for 6 sets (12 pads):
- 2 sq. m Cotton fabric
- 2 sq. m Towel (could be an older one laying around)
- 2 sq. m Microfiber (I used a regular microfiber cleaning rag from Kaufland)
- 2 sq. m Fleece (I used this fleece blanket from Ikea)
- Needle, thread and scissors
The size that works best for me is a circle with 10 cm in diameter (I used the lid of a shea butter jar for template, but you can just draw on paper a 10cm diameter circle and use that one instead).
- Draw 12 circles on each of the four fabrics.
- Cut the circles.
- Put them in the following order – cotton, towel, microfiber and fleece (the cotton touches the breast and the fleece is toward the bra).
- Sew the fabrics together to receive 12 pads and you are ready to go.
Maintenance: when the pads feel wet, just replace them with a new pair and put the wet ones with your next load in the washing machine. Then iron them and you can reuse the pads right afterwards.